Monday, November 3, 2008

Apple Butternut Squash Soup


Why so many soups? Basically I'm lazy. I love the fact that I can make a whole meal in one dish. I also love that soups are forgiving and flexible. Meaning if you make a "mistake" its easy to fix. You can always add a little more or a little less, and you can also make them any time in the day, which works great for me right now. I can start dinner while Finn is napping and just reheat it at dinner time instead of trying to cook with a toddler screaming on my leg! Finally, I don't know that I would remember to prepare vegetables separately if I made a "normal" dinner, but with soup, you just mix them right in and don't even have to think about it.
This is a great soup, very warm and filling. It almost has the texture of stage 1 baby food (great if you have a little one at that age) so a little thicker than you would think of soup, but so good! Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Apple Butternut Squash Soup
Prep 10 cook 35 serves 4
From: adapted South Beach Diet Quick and Easy

Olive Oil
Small onion thinly sliced
1.5 lbs butternut squash, peeled seeded and sliced
1 apple cored, peeled and diced
2 c chicken or veggie broth
1 ½ c apple cider

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook till softened and lightly browned. Add squash and apple and cook 10 minutes, cover and stir occasionally. Add broth and 1 c apple cider and simmer 15-20 minutes till softened.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer solids to blender with ½ c apple cider. Puree until smooth, add remaining cooking liquid, and puree till smooth, stir back into pan and serve hot

No comments: