Homemade yogurt. Like bread it is easy, it just takes time. I use individual reusable jars, but you don’t have to. If you want to know the whys and wherefore and the science behind the process you can research on your own. This is just for me to save what I do.
To start you need milk (I use whole milk), 1/2 c yogurt (or some form to active cultures) and a cooking thermometer.
Pour 8 jars of milk into a pan and bring to an almost boil. About 180-200 degrees F or about 93.3 degrees C. Stirring to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan.
Next, cool the milk down to 112-115 F or about 45 C. You can let it cool naturally on its own, or speed the process by dunking the pan in cool water. I set the pan in the sink and let cold water run across the side of the pan while stirring.
In a separate bowl, mix some of the cooled milk with your saved yogurt or live cultures until it dissolves and then stir into the pan.
Now I pour into separate jars and place in a yogurt maker, crockpot set to low or instapot set to yogurt ferment setting. It needs to be kept warm but not hot for 8 hours. The longer you leave it in the fermenting process, the more tart your yogurt will be.
When it is done fermenting place covers on and set in the fridge to chill for a few hours before eating.
See. Easy. It just takes time. Just remember to set aside one jar for your next batch. To eat we stir in frozen fruit and honey or we use jam and we like to serve it over granola.


No comments:
Post a Comment