Thursday, July 15, 2021

Potato and Pepper Stir Fry

 The original version I had in Beijing was basically matchstick potatoes and green bell peppers fried in a chili oil. Simple and delicious. I wanted to add a little more so I can have it for dinner instead of just a side dish. So here is what I did, this is all approximations as I was eyeballing the whole time, so season to taste when making your own.



2 -3 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into shoestring. Soak in cold salt water while getting everything else chopped

1 large carrot chopped into matchsticks

1 bell pepper (any color is fine) thinly sliced

Spam chopped (or any meat you want, or none at all) (I live in Asia, Spam is a thing, and it’s good, don’t be afraid of it)

Freshly grated ginger

2 or 3 large garlic cloves, minced

Couple TBSP Vegetable oil

Red pepper flakes, a few shakes depending on how spicy you like things

Salt and pepper to taste.


While potatoes are soaking warm oil in large skillet or wok over low heat. Add in the carrots and let the soften a bit, add peppers and let them start to soften. Add the ginger and garlic and red pepper flakes. Then drain and then add potatoes.  The goal is to cook the potatoes, but you still want them to be a little crisp. You also want the carrots nicely softened but not mushy. This just takes practice and experience. I like to cook on a low heat and give myself lots of time. 

Once potatoes and carrots are approaching your desired level of “done-ness” add in the spam and the salt and pepper and let everything cook a little while longer.

Serve warm. 

No comments: