Sunday, December 14, 2008

Meat Pie

This is a variation of a recipe my Grandmother used to make on Thanksgiving "mornings" The tradition was to go to her house for a meat pie breakfast (brunch) with other typical Thanksgiving fixings, and them make our way to my other grandmothers house for the Turkey "dinner" (at 3). I know it sounds strange, but meat pie is actually very very good. (not to be confused with "mince meat pie" which used to be the innards and fruit and now is just fruit I think) Dominic loves this meal, so we have continued the tradition, all though now I will make it the first Sunday of Advent. And since it makes three pies at once, we'll have it a few other times in the winter as well, and since my boys actually eat it...I'll usually make it a few times a year. Anyway, try it out, it is very good! Let me know what you think!



Meat pie
Prep 30 total 1hour 30 min
Makes 3 pies
3 onions diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
5-6 cups cubed bread crumbs (I used Brown berry herb seasoned bread cubes-NOT sage).
3 pounds cooked ground beef
3 tsp Morton's Nature's Seasons Seasoning Blend (has salt, pepper, onion salt and celery salt)
6 pie crusts
Brown onions and ground beef
While beef is cooking, soften bread crumbs with warm water ( I used 3 - 3 1/2 cups of water)
After beef is cooked, add bread crumbs and seasoning
Simmer 10-15 minutes
Spoon into pie shells (I used frozen pie shells -Pillsbury deep dish 9 inch shells)
Cover with crust and slit holes in top crust
Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, then freeze
When ready to eat. Re-heat frozen pie in 350 degree oven 60 minutes.
I cover the edges of the pie with 1-2 inches of tin foil so the edges don't
burn. Remove tin foil last 10 minutes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Our tradition was to do meat pies on New Year's day so it doesn't sound weird at all. They are so yummy, particularly with the homemade, flaky, crust Grandma Lil made!! Haven't had one since I got married. :(

Laurie said...

So excited you posted this one!! I remember you bringing them to church.

Angela said...

Beth, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a meat pie breakfast tradition! I'm too lazy to make my own crust though. I've got an extra pie in the freezer if you want to try one before making three. Let me know.
Laurie, I used to bring them to church all the time because Fr Sheil LOVED them! I would also give him the extras...just to be nice.

Unknown said...

I kept meaning to tell you when I saw you, but I did make meat pies for New Year's this year. I used Grandma Lil's recipe which uses mashed potatoes instead of bread crumbs. They were yummy!!!