I didn't get a picture of this one. I am currently suffering from pregnancy brain dead syndrome, and also I am so hungry by the time I get dinner ready all I want to do is eat, not stop and try to take a nice picture. :-) This meal was abundant and very flavorful. I had my doubts about it. It comes from Rachael Ray March...sometimes her recipes are really easy and really good, but lately I've not been finding that to be true, they are harder to make, and don't taste so good. So anyway I tried this with some trepidation. Thankfully it turned out great and it was super easy! I hope you like it too!
Sausage and Zucchini Rice
4 Tbsp butter
1 onion finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 ½ c rice
32 oz chicken broth
1 lb ground Italian sausage
2 zucchini cubed
¾ c Parmesan cheese
¼ c toasted pine nuts
1. In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up, over
medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate. Add the zucchini to the skillet and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Return the sausage to the skillet, add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice along with 1/2 cup Parmesan, and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the pine nuts.
(to toast pine nuts, heat oven to 350, pour pine nuts onto cookie sheet and bake about 5-10 minutes till they smell good and look just a little browned.)
No comments:
Post a Comment