Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Philly Stuffed Peppers

A few months ago I stumbled across this recipe on pinterest.  It comes from "Peace, Love and Low Carb" and has quickly become a family favorite.  The original recipe can be found here and below are the minor changes I have made to suit the tastes of my family. 

 
INGREDIENTS
1 lb. Thinly Sliced Roast Beef (I recommend you splurge a little and get the more expensive stuff, it makes a difference)
12-16 Slices Provolone Cheese
4 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Sweet Onion
12 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
4 Tbs. Butter
4 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Garlic - Minced
Salt and Pepper - to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400*

Slice peppers in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.
Wrap cookie sheet in foil and place peppers on sheet, open side up, place in oven while making the rest

Slice onions and mushrooms.  Saute over medium heat with butter, olive oil, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper.  Saute until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized.  About 25-30 minutes.

Slice roast beef into thin strips and add to the onion/mushroom mixture.  Allow to cook 5-10 minutes
Take the peppers out of the oven and line the inside of each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese. (depending on how large the slices of cheese are, I sometimes break it in half)

Fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are nearly overflowing.

Top each pepper with another slice (or half slice) of provolone cheese.

Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown. 

Serve and Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Christine said...

Growing up, my friend's mom used to make stuffed peppers. I did not like bell peppers at the time, but I always liked her stuffed peppers. I wonder whether this is similar to the recipe that she used to use. Thank you for sharing.