Another pinterest find. The original recipe takes a lot of time to make them look very nearly like Cheez-its. As ever in my house, taste trumps appearance. As does speed. I doubled the original recipe and cut out the "fussy bits" they taste very good and are gone much faster than it takes to make them.
What you need:
2 c shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to shred my own)
1/2 c butter softened (I shred this rather than softening, works very well)
2 c flour
1 tsp salt
8-10 Tbsp ice water
Directions:
1. First, mix together the shredded cheese, the salt and the softened butter. (I used sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. I shredded my own cheese just because I think it has better flavor and melts better, but you can use pre-shredded too to save some time!) Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).
2. Divide the dough in four equal parts, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then taking one disk at a time, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares. I can usually fir about one disk per two sheets.
3. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mat. Transfer your little Cheez-its onto the covered cookie sheet. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don't burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).
Usually my first batch is gone in minutes so I make a second right away. I save the other two for sometime in the next few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment