Sunday, August 3, 2008

Meatballs with Tomato and Zucchini

This recipe is a variation of one found in the South beach Diet cookbook. I don't like onions, and tend to take them out of a lot of things, sometimes I replace onions with bell peppers, which is why I need to start growing my own, because they are expensive! I also use just zucchini instead of adding yellow squash...no real reason behind that one. Anyway, this is one of our favorite quick meals.

Meatballs with Tomato and Zucchini

1 lb ground beef
¼ c bread crumbs
1 egg
Pepper
½ tsp Italian seasoning
6 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
3 zucchini chopped
1 16oz can Italian cut tomatoes
1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes


In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs egg, pepper seasoning and 4 Tbs Parmesan cheese Form into balls the size of walnuts. Heat pan to medium, working in batches add meatballs and cook 15 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside. Remove to a bowl, and leave the
drippings.

In the same pan add onion and garlic and cook 5 min until onion is tender. Stir in zucchini, tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, more pepper and 2 tbsp cheese and meatballs. Heat to boiling reduce heat to low cover and cook for 20 minutes.


Serve over pasta noodles of your choice.

2 comments:

Shan said...

I may have to try this one out since Matt doesn't like regular spaghetti or onions! Thanks!

Angela said...

Let me know what you think. we like it, but we eat strange things I guess.